Saturday, March 18, 2023

Filming Flashbacks

 Week 6


    Today's was quite the interesting day. I filmed flashback scenes for the film opening, along with the help of my little brother. These scenes will be important within the story since them flashing in the right moments will aid in giving background to our main character, Isabel, and her life story. We did a variety of flashback shots of "nostalgic memories". This included drawing together, cooking pancakes together, and playing soccer together. While these scenes are all valuable, the most important was the drawing memory.


    
    The drawing is somewhat similar to the one hung up on Isabel's wall.


    
    This hints to how Isabel is still emotionally connected to her brother despite his passing. The flashbacks are used like memorial flashbacks, highlights of happier times. This allows the audience to come to the conclusion that the brother passed. 

 
   This goes along with the "show not tell" idea that I have been blabbering on about in all these blogs. I think that famous Pixar filmmaker, Andrew Stanton said it best during a TED Talk, "Make the audience put things together. Don’t give them four, give them two plus two. The elements you provide and the order you place them in is crucial to whether you succeed or fail at engaging the audience." This absence of information helps make the story "inevitable, but not predictable.".

    

    I had a great time filming with my little brother, it is not often that I hang out with him but I am glad he was so eager to help me film. These little moments are what make me appreciate the process of filmmaking. I might need to re-do some of the shots since he's meant to be the main character's older brother, and I recorded him as more of a younger brother. Not to worry though since these shots are simple and fun to record.


Source

  Stanton, Andrew. “The Clues to a Great Story.” TED Talk. TED Talk. https://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_stanton_the_clues_to_a_great_story?language=en



    




No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR Creation

 Week 8 And the final part of the project is here. CCR Creation. I sure had fun making this project and learned a great deal. IN TWO DIRECTO...